Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Version of a Progress Bar

I realize I forgot to tell you about how I, and now you, can track my progress.  I'm working straight through my manuscript, editing each section/paragraph/scene as I encounter it.  I've begun tracking this with a type of fraction.  For instance, I didn't tell you, but before I started editing yesterday, I had last left off on page 104 of my 204 page manuscript, so that's 104/204 according to the little blue sticky note pad I have here.

The reason I say 104/204 is simple.  As I edit, the manuscript size shifts.  Sometimes it may be subtle - retooling a couple of sentences may shift the word count either way.  And sometimes there are more dramatic changes, like if I rewrite a section and it ends up pages longer than the previous version, or I cut an entire section that is seems week and out of place upon review.

So here we go. At the time of yesterday's writing it was 104/204. Today I can check in and tell you that after yesterday's work I'm at 106 of 204. That may not seem like a lot, but it's forward motion, so it counts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment