Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Book Tuesday

128/207

                Writing can often be a struggle of time management.  Whether we are very busy or are simply very good at procrastinating, it can be hard to find time to sit down and write.  It was for this reason that I started Book Tuesday.
                The original idea behind book Tuesday was to block off a day to write.  I was un- or little-employed at the time, so I was in a good position to make this sort of declaration.  By “clearing my schedule” so to speak, I tried to eradicate the guilt I would feel if I took time to write instead of doing other things around my home.  And so it began.
                The base of operations for book Tuesday was a Starbucks at my local mall.  I would go there, order a drink, and sit and work on my manuscript.  As time went on (and as I drew attention to myself with my giant manuscript in front of me), I got to know the baristas a bit.  I developed a regular seat in the shop, at the counter that overlooked the barista’s work area.    One of them wanted me to write a coffee shop into my work (and I think him as a character).  I believe I told him that I might do something like that in the next one.
                Getting to be a regular was a fun experience.  It wasn’t quite a Norm form Cheers thing (“Norm!”) but it still felt good.  The baristas got to know who I was and what I was trying to do.  I formed a bond with one barista in particular.  She was (and is) a college student named Brittney.  Granted, our chattering back and forth when I came to visit didn’t help either of us get more work done, but it was nice to see a friendly face and catch up.
                My initial dream of spending a large portion of the day working on my book didn’t ultimately come to be.  I may have spent more time working during the early Book Tuesdays, but eventually it became a shorter event.  But, as I’ve pointed out, even a little work still counts.  On Tuesdays (at least most of them) I would go to Starbucks, work on my book, and visit with Brittney if she was there.  It was forward motion, but there was also something more going on.
                One of the other benefits of this exercise was in perception.  Writers talk about procrastination, yes, but one thing you may hear from writers - both published and not - is the reluctance to identify themselves as writers.  Going to the coffee shop on a regular basis and forming relationships with the people there made me “confess” to them what I was really doing and what I was trying to be.   For better or worse, I was honest with them.  And here’s something great about that: the people were nice about it.  It’s hard to take myself seriously as a writer, but Brittney did.  Without reading a word of what was on my laptop screen, she believed in me.  And that is something very special.  If you’re reading this Brittney, thank you.
                And now the epilogue.  I started teaching on Tuesday nights one fall, and I stopped coming in for book Tuesdays.  Eventually my husband lost his job and then got a new one that moved us out of town.  Interestingly enough, Brittney moved too, so she doesn’t work at that location anymore.  Book Tuesday, in a way, has essentially ended.
                But today is Tuesday, and I wanted to tell you this story.  And today I worked on the book.  I didn’t go out to Starbucks. My Gold Rewards Card stayed tucked away in my wallet.  I didn’t sit at the counter overlooking the barista’s work area, but at my own dining room table in my new condo.  There’s no Brittney the barista to talk to, but interestingly enough today I’ve been texting with a new friend who lives around here, named Brittany (note the spelling difference).
                So what about you?  Do you do anything interesting to make time for writing or other pursuits?  I would love to hear from you in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment